When SEC Knocks: 8 Immediate Actions for Every Company
Philadelphia partner Mary Hansen and counsel Stephen Stroup authored an article for Law360 titled “When SEC Knocks: 8 Immediate Actions for Every Company.” The article details the essential steps that an investment company or public company should undertake to best position itself from the outset during an SEC formal or informal investigation. These steps include:
- Retaining experienced SEC counsel;
- Promptly contacting the SEC staff;
- Preserving potentially relevant documents;
- Examining pertinent insurance policies;
- Assessing external disclosure obligations;
- Conducting internal inquiries;
- Identifying probable conflicts of interest; and
- Weighing the benefits of cooperation.
While every SEC investigation presents its own set of challenges, by considering and implementing the items above, a company is likely to be better positioned to handle such tests.